- Introduced all 4th and 5th graders to our genre shelves
- Used iPads and Augmented Reality clips where teachers and administrators introduce their favorite genres
- Advocated for the media center services to parents via QR codes (their kids taught them how to use it!), created Google Forms and calendars for teachers to access materials and teaching space
- Circulated more books in 3 weeks than I did the entire month of May, 2014
- Started working with a very insightful, creative assistant
- Created a read-aloud web so students (and teachers) have a visual representation of our school's reading community
- Recruited students to participate in our Battle of the Books team
- Invited local businesses in to help get donations for a book swap
- Teamed up with the local independent bookstore to start planning our Book Fair
oh... and collaborated with my friend and AIG coordinator on a student-led PBL presentation in front of our Board of Ed.
Fortunately, many teacher friends all say the same thing: it feels like this every year! I'm not complaining, as it makes me on my A-game right off the bat which is a great mentality to have in my dynamic media center.
Students have been enjoying the new theme of FISHING FOR A GOOD BOOK! They are making connections with books thanks to our genre-fied library such as "I really liked when my teacher read Because of Winn Dixie. Do you have any other books like it?" then they wander over to the animal stories shelf and find The Mouse and the Motorcycle! Or the ones who have been so set on Diary of a Wimpy Kid but can't find any on the shelf now are discovering more Humor books like James Patterson's Middle School series and Tom Angelberger's Origami Yoda. Some are even setting goals for themselves like trying a book in every section, or tackling all the books they've haven't read yet in Fantasy or Action/Adventure. It's fun to see them discovering and discussing with their friends - makes the whole experience much more authentic and real-world! We are definitely seeing a growth in circulation too - but that may also be attributed to the new flex-calendar where teachers can schedule check out times w/ their class (more on that next time!)
Augmented Reality! The most fun thing so far...
| || |
< -- This made me laugh!!
"Whoa! This is Weird!"
"Ms. Terri is wearing glasses and a mustache."
"So not that the video came to life from a still picture?"